Saturday, October 4, 2008

Maiden Post- Who am I?

For years I described myself as a Ronald Reagan Republican, and he is still my political hero, but over the last few years I have come to realize that such a label is not completely accurate. While I greatly admire the man, believe he was at least so far the best President of my life time, a truely strong and inspired leader, and that America is profoundly a better nation for having had him as a President. There are certain conotations that such a title brings with it that don't quiet fit me anymore so here is how I describe myself and why.
I am a classic conservative, a person who believes in the supremacy of the constitution. That the governing document of this nation takes presidence over ideology, party loyalty, and political expedency. That you must take the good and the bad with the constitution.
The reason I no longer consider myself a "Reagan Republican" is because of certain aspects of what that means.
In 1980 with the rise of the moral majority the Republican party melded it's self to the religious right, merging in many ways conservative politics and principals with conservative religious orthodoxy. Now just so you know is blog is not a rant against people of faith, or people who vote according to their faith. I as a man of faith understand that, however I believe it is a slippery slope to meld faith and politics. If you look at the history of our nation that is what our founding fathers were attempting to avoid. Our ancestors left our countries of origin because of the belding of faith and politics the corrupt states that used the bible and its teachings as a way to justify any act of tyranny. The idea of devine providence of Kings, that God choose those within the ruling class and therefore any action they took no matter how immoral, corrupt, dispicable, or sinful the act was it was within their right because they were "destine by God to rule"
It is because of this merging that I do not consider myself a "Reagan Republican" while I understand the desire of social conservatives to have a political home the dominace of certain leaders like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and James Dobson has lead to more division in the political arena and I believe it is their leadership and prominence that keeps many people who would other wise be drawn to the parties message of low taxes, balanced budgets, personal responsibility and American exceptionalism from being comfortable voting for Republican candidates.
Now don't misunderstand me I am not saying that evangelicals should not and do not deserve a voice, that Roberston and Dobson shouldn't be heard, what I am saying is that their influence is in my opinion to strong. To many good candidates are dismissed out of hand as possible office holders because they do not tow the evangelical line on every single issue.
One example of this is former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge a man who by all accounts is a great American success story. He was an effective congressman, a strong and visionary Governor of a major state, and an abile administrator in the cabinet and yet because of his position of Abortion and Gay rights this man will likely never have a chance to serve as Vice President or President both positions he would likely serve in with great compancy.
So I am to sum up a conservative in the William F. Buckley, Barry Goldwater mold. I am prolife because it is the American way to protect those who cannot protect themselves, I am pro- second Amendment because...well I believe in the constitution. I support civil rights and gay rights because America is a nation that should always live up to the idea that "all men are created equal!" This is the first of many posts feel free to comment at will.

1 comment:

Friar Tuck said...

The abortion issue is what keeps me calling myself a Republican. I think I am not alone. If the Republican party does not have the issue of abortion to rally social conservatives around, it will lose election after election.

It is interesting, however, that the debate did not address social issues last night. No discussion of immigration. No discussion of abortion. I wonder why that is?

McCain needs these issues brought up if he is going to fuel turnout.